Avocado toast? We’re not over it. It’s hard to beat the quick, easy, and savory goodness of this breakfast staple, but topped with subtly spicy sautéed mushrooms?! It’s a must-try, friends!
We love this mushroom avocado toast on its own as a snack, but it’s also perfect for breakfast with greens or alongside a fried egg. Just 1 pan, 7 ingredients, and 10 minutes required. Let us show you how it’s done!
How to Make Mushroom Avocado Toast
We’re all about stepping up our plant points (how we doing, Dr. B!?). And we’re also into finding new ways to turn avocado toast into a satisfying meal. Mushrooms to the rescue on both counts!
Inspired by the filling in our Savory Chickpea Pancakes with Leek and Mushrooms, we sauté shiitake mushrooms in a little vegan butter or oil with thyme, garlic powder, and salt and pepper. We also love red pepper flakes for a little heat!
Smash the avocado on a slice of toasted bread, then top with the sautéed mushrooms, and you’ve got breakfast ready in 10 minutes!
We hope you LOVE this mushroom avocado toast! It’s:
Quick & easy
& SO delicious!
It’s a satisfying meal with sautéed greens or alongside a fried egg. It’s also amazing with our Fluffy Chickpea Scramble (30 Minutes!), Spicy Tempeh Breakfast Sausage, or your favorite seasonal fresh fruit.
Love Mushrooms? Try These Next:
- Creamy Vegan Mushroom Stroganoff (GF Optional)
- Caramelized Shiitake Mushroom Risotto
- 5-Minute Mushroom Latte (2 Ways!)
- Easy Vegan Ramen
If you try this recipe, let us know! Leave a comment, rate it, and don’t forget to tag a photo @minimalistbaker on Instagram. Cheers, friends!
10-Minute Mushroom Avocado Toast
- 2 slices bread (Wheat, Whole Grain Seeded, or Gluten-Free // see notes for store-bought GF recommendations)
- 1/2-3/4 medium ripe avocado (see notes for tips!)
- 1-2 Tbsp vegan butter (we like Miyoko’s // or sub olive oil // dairy butter also works if not dairy-free)
- 7-8 oz. sliced shiitake mushrooms (see notes if subbing other mushrooms // 8 oz. yields ~3 cups sliced)
- 1/2 tsp dried thyme (or sub twice as much fresh)
- 1 pinch red pepper flakes (optional // for heat)
- 1 pinch each sea salt and black pepper
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- Vegan Parmesan Cheese (optional // or nutritional yeast and flaky salt)
- Heat 1 Tbsp (14 g) vegan butter or olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the sliced mushrooms, thyme, and red pepper flakes (optional). Cook, stirring occasionally, until softened and lightly browned — about 5-7 minutes. If the mushrooms are sticking to the pan, reduce the heat slightly or add more butter or oil.
- Meanwhile, toast bread in the oven or a toaster.
- Once the mushrooms are lightly browned, turn off the heat and stir in the salt, pepper, and garlic powder. Taste and adjust as needed, adding more salt to taste or black pepper for spice.
- Top the toasted bread with ripe avocado and use a fork to smash. Then top with sautéed mushroom mixture and vegan parmesan cheese (optional). Eat, repeat, enjoy!
- Best when fresh. Not freezer friendly.
*To enjoy perfect avocados, buy when nearly ripe. When ripened (soft to the touch), slice and use. Then store leftovers in a plastic bag with the pit still intact. It should keep in the refrigerator for 2-4 days! Slice off any brown edges before use.
*We prefer shiitake mushrooms in this recipe because they don’t have as much moisture, meaning they cook quickly and brown nicely. Oyster, morel, lion’s mane, or similar mushrooms would also work well. We don’t recommend cremini or white button mushrooms because of their higher moisture content, but if using them, cook for longer and avoid overcrowding the pan.
*Nutrition information is a rough estimate calculated with Dave’s Killer Bread 21 Whole Grain Bread, the lesser amounts of avocado and vegan butter, and without optional ingredients.
Leave a Comment & Rating!