Have you tried my Sun-Dried Tomato and Basil Pinwheels yet? If not, you totally should.
They’re becoming a fan favorite with 11 5-star reviews and 4,000 pins! Like whoa – get on that.
And while you’re at it, add these beauties to the list: A Mexican-inspired, 6-layer pinwheel that’s the perfect appetizer or side dish for Mexican night.
I even added step-by-step photo tutorial to help you along. Let’s do this!
That’s right, six layers of savory goodness in one pinwheel in less than 30 minutes! Brought to you by these Mexican-inspired ingredients:
Vegan Mexican Cheese Spread
Tomatoes or Salsa
These pinwheels are savory, creamy, slightly crunchy from the onion, loaded with flavor, and portable! And for those organized folks among us, you can even make them up to 1-2 days in advance.
How and where would one enjoy these pinwheels? I’d suggest making these to snack on during the week, or for gatherings with friends. No one will guess they’re vegan – promise.
If you do give them a try, let us know what you think! Leave a comment and rate it. And don’t forget to snap a picture and tag it #minimalistbaker on Instagram. We’d love to see what you come up with. Cheers, friends!
- 2 large vegan flour tortillas
- 2/3 cup Spreadable Vegan Mexican Cheese, divided (optional)
- 2/3 cup vegan refried beans (I love Trader Joe’s brand // divided)
- 1/2 medium ripe avocado (finely sliced or diced // divided)
- 1/2 cup red onion (finely diced // divided)
- 1/2 cup finely diced tomato or chunky salsa (excess liquid drained // divided)
- 1/2 cup fresh cilantro (finely chopped // divided)
- If using the Spreadable Vegan Mexican Cheese, prepare first. Otherwise, move on to the next step.
- Lay one tortilla flat and spread with a thin layer of spreadable cheese – about half of the total amount (1/3 cup as original recipe is written // optional, but recommended).
- Next top with ~1/3 cup refried beans and spread flat. Continue layering with 1/4 avocado, 1/4 cup onion, 1/4 cup tomato or salsa, and 1/4 cup cilantro. See photo series as a guide.
- Use your hands to flatten all the ingredients down so it’s easier to roll. Then tightly roll from one end to the other and place seam side down on a cutting board. If any ingredients fall out of the tortilla when rolling, it’s OK! It’s a hefty pinwheel, so just scrape it aside and move along.
- Starting in the center of the tortilla, use your hands to form and tighten the roll, moving outward toward the edges. This will help the fillings form together and make slicing easier.
- Use a serrated knife (blunt-edge knives may smash the pinwheel), and slice into 1/2-inch slices – about 8-10.
- Repeat the process with second tortilla and remaining ingredients. You should have ~20 pinwheels (amount as original recipe is written // adjust if altering batch size).
- Serve immediately, or cover and refrigerate for up to 2-3 days.
*Nutrition information is a rough estimate.
Leave a Comment & Rating!