When I quizzed you all on Twitter about what kind of recipes you want to see more of on Minimalist Baker, the overwhelming majority of you said healthy, savory entrées! You are my kind of people.
Not to worry, there will still be desserts – there will always be room for dessert. But I’m excited to continue adding healthy, easy, plant-based meal ideas, starting with my go-to meal when I don’t feel like cooking: baked sweet potatoes (just 30 minutes required)!
I included two varieties of sweet potatoes: 1 sweet, 1 savory.
For the sweet version, I went with my 4-ingredient Vegan Nutella (!), bananas, berries, coconut, and cinnamon. This is the perfect “dessert for a meal” type of recipe (if you’re into that sort of thing – I certainly am).
And for the savory version, I went with my beloved combo of avocado, nutritional yeast, sea salt, and red pepper flake. I also added hemp seeds for more healthy fats, fiber, and protein.
This is inspired by my go-to Avocado Toast recipe, and it leaves me satisfied every time!
I hope you enjoy this first of many plant-based entrée ideas! These baked sweet potatoes are:
Sweet + Savory
& Super versatile
If you’re into sweet potatoes, be sure to check out my Mediterranean Baked Sweet Potatoes, 1-Pot Sweet Potato Kale Curry, Cajun Sweet Potato Fries, Sweet Potato Wedges with “No Honey” Mustard Dressing, Sweet Potato Breakfast Hash, and Sweet Potato Lasagna!
If you try this recipe, let us know. Leave a comment, rate it, and tag a photo #minimalistbaker on Instagram so we can see what you come up with. Cheers, friends!
Baked Sweet Potatoes 2 Ways!
- 1 large sweet potatoes (can sub 2 small per 1 large // rinsed and halved // organic when possible)
- 1 Tbsp coconut or avocado oil (or water)
- 2 Tbsp Vegan Nutella or almond butter (or other nut butter)
- 1/2 medium banana (sliced)
- 1/4 cup berries (blueberry, raspberry, strawberry, etc.)
- 1 pinch ground cinnamon
- Sea salt
- 1 Tbsp unsweetened shredded coconut
- 1 medium ripe avocado (sliced or cubed)
- 2 Tbsp nutritional yeast
- 1 pinch sea salt
- 2 tsp hemp seeds
- 1 pinch red pepper flake
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (204 C) and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Rub sweet potatoes with a bit of oil and place facedown on the baking sheet. Bake for 25-28 minutes or until tender to the touch. Baking time will vary depending on size of sweet potato.
- Once sweet potatoes are baked, turn faceup and place on serving plate(s). For the sweet version, top with nut butter, banana, blueberries, cinnamon, salt, and a bit of flaked coconut.
- For the savory version, top with avocado, nutritional yeast, salt, hemp seeds, and red pepper flake.
- These sweet potatoes make the perfect lazy meal when you don’t feel like cooking. They’re ideal for breakfast, lunch, or dinner! You can also make sweet potatoes ahead of time, store in the refrigerator up to a few days, and reheat in a cast-iron skillet on the stovetop, in the microwave, or a 350-degree F (176 C) oven.
*Nutrition information for 1 SWEET sweet potato: Calories: 416, Total fat: 18.6 g, Saturated fat: 13.3 g, Sodium: 307 mg, Total carb: 61.4 g, Fiber: 9.6 g, Sugar: 24.2 g, Protein: 6.1 g
Leave a Comment & Rating!