The first time I walked into a Starbucks I ordered a hot chocolate. I was confused. I hated coffee. Then I spilled it on myself. True story.
Since then hot chocolate and I have made amends. The stain came out. I once again remembered the luscious hot chocolate of my youth, even if it did consist of Ovaltine and freeze-dried marshmallows. It warms me when I’m bitterly cold in the wintertime. You could say we’re hot for each other again. Also a true story.
Sure, classic hot chocolate is good and well. But this hot chocolate is WHITE hot (get it?) and filled with pumpkin puree and plenty of pumpkin pie spice. And booze! Did I mention the booze?! It has booze.
The best part about this drink besides the fact that it’s perfect for cold-weather gatherings, grown up enough for even the manliest of manly men, and quintessentially fall, is that it warrants being topped with whipped cream and caramel sauce. Ooohhh yeahh.
If you love the buttery sweet flavor of white chocolate, the spicy heartiness of pumpkin, and the luscious decadence that is whipped cream and caramel (and booze – two kinds, pick your poison), then this is thee fall drink for you.
Happy fall, friends. Happy fall, indeed.
Boozy Pumpkin White Hot Chocolate (2 Ways)
- 1/2 cup white chocolate chips (or chopped)
- 2 1/2 cups milk (I used 2%)
- 1/4 cup pumpkin puree
- 1/4 tsp pumpkin pie spice
- 1 ounce Kahlua (or sub half as much Bourbon)
- Whipped cream and caramel (optional // for topping)
- In a saucepan over low-medium heat, melt the chocolate chips and 1/2 cup of the milk (amount as original recipe is written // adjust if altering batch size), whisking often (about 3 minutes).
- Once melted, add the rest of the milk, the pumpkin and the pumpkin pie spice and stir vigorously to incorporate.
- Pour a small amount of the hot chocolate into serving glasses (two as original recipe is written), add Kahlua OR bourbon (bourbon is much stronger in taste). Top off with hot chocolate, stir and then top with whipped cream, caramel sauce and more pumpkin pie spice (optional).
* Nutrition information is a rough estimate.
Leave a Comment & Rating!