If you don’t know I’m a margarita lover by now, now you know.
But do I have a mango version? No, despite mango being one of my favorite fruits.
I think you know where this is going.
Origins of Margaritas
There are several theories of where the margarita first originated and we’re not sure which one is true! But the most popular is that it was created in 1938 by Carlos ‘Danny’ Herrera at his restaurant in Tijuana, Mexico. It’s thought that he created it for a customer who was allergic to all hard alcohol except tequila, but wanted something more than just a shot.
Based on the popularity and spread of this delicious cocktail, we’d say the creation of the margarita was a major success! You can read about other theories on the origin here.
The following is our inspired version with a fruity, spicy twist!
Chili Lime Mango Margaritas
A couple of weeks ago, I had one of those days where I’d been in the kitchen for one too many hours and didn’t feel like cooking. Mexican food to the rescue.
There’s always Chipotle, but one of our favorite local Mexican restaurants just took over a space just a few blocks from our apartment, so we hiked over there to satisfy our cravings.
Best. Decision. Ever.
We sat down and the margaritas were calling. We went with a spicy citrus one and it was perfect – tangy and sweet with a kick. One sip and I immediately felt inspired to make a version of my own at home.
This recipe is simple, requiring just 10 minutes and less than 10 ingredients! And it’s extremely customizable.
Use frozen mango (or other fruit of choice) for a blended frozen margarita, or use un-chilled mango and serve over ice for an “on the rocks” application.
For a little heat to balance out the sweetness of the mango, I add some hot sauce and chili powder on the rim. But you could omit these if you aren’t into spicy things.
I think you guys are going to love this margarita! It’s:
& Seriously delicious
This is the perfect drink for spring and summer, and goes great with pretty much all Mexican food – probably my favorite food of all. Who’s with me?
If you give these a try, let us know how it goes! Leave a comment and rate it! And don’t forget to take a picture and tag it #minimalistbaker on Instagram so we can see. Cheers, friends!
Chili Lime Mango Margaritas
- 1 ripe mango (cubed // 1 mango yields ~1 cup or 157 g)*
- 1 cup orange juice
- 2 small limes (juiced // ~1 ounce)
- 2.5 -3 ounces silver tequila (depending on preferred strength of drink)
- 1 ounce triple sec or orange liqueur
- 1 dash hot sauce (optional)
- 1-3 Tbsp agave nectar or maple syrup (depending on sweetness of mango)
CHILI SALT RIM
- 1 lime wedge for rimming
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- Add all margarita ingredients to a blender and blend until creamy and smooth. Taste and adjust sweetness / strength of alcohol as desired.
- To chill, either blend in a large handful of ice cubes to make a frozen margarita or transfer half of the mixture to a cocktail shaker with plenty of ice and shake vigorously.
- Rim serving glasses with a lime wedge and immediately dip in salt/chili powder mixture (or sub just salt or sugar), and fill with 1 large ice cube or several small. Pour over margarita and garnish with lime wedge.
*Nutrition information is a rough estimate.
Leave a Comment & Rating!