A smoky, spicy, satisfying plant-based sandwich?! Count us in! This quick and easy sandwich is bursting with flavor (plus protein and fiber) thanks to spicy chipotle hummus, smoky tempeh bacon, and tons of fresh veggies.
It’s ideal for meal prep or any time you’re craving something savory and comforting and looking to stay full and satisfied! Just 7 ingredients and 15 minutes required. Let us show you how it’s done!
What’s In This Sandwich?
Think of this sandwich kind of like a vegan BLT, but elevated with spicy chipotle hummus and extra veggies.
- Chipotle Hummus – spicy, smoky, and perfect for spreading on your favorite bread
- Tempeh Bacon – a smoky, super satisfying plant-based alternative to bacon that’s made from protein-packed, fiber-rich soybeans!
- Cucumber – crisp, crunchy, hydrating, and a good source of vitamin C, vitamin K, potassium, and more
- Alfalfa Sprouts – fresh, crisp, and the perfect sandwich companion (and somehow better than lettuce — you’ll see when you try it)
- Tomato – sweet, juicy, and full of vitamin C and antioxidants
- Avocado – rich, creamy, and a great source of healthy fats to keep you feeling full
Prep your ingredients, and let’s assemble this thing!
We hope you LOVE this hummus and tempeh sandwich! It’s:
Quick & easy
& SO delicious!
It’s a filling meal on its own but would also be delicious served with a salad, chips, or sliced veggies. You can make the tempeh bacon and chipotle hummus in advance (or use store-bought) for effortless, flavorful lunches (or dinners) all week long.
More Vegan Sandwich Recipes
- Chickpea Sunflower Sandwich
- BBQ Tempeh Sandwiches with Sweet & Spicy Slaw
- Easy Vegan “Tuna” Melt
- The Best Vegan “Pulled Pork” Sandwich
If you try this recipe, let us know! Leave a comment, rate it, and don’t forget to tag a photo @minimalistbaker on Instagram. Cheers, friends!
Chipotle Hummus Sandwich with Smoky Tempeh Bacon
- 3-4 Tbsp chipotle hummus (or sub store-bought)
- 3 slices tempeh bacon (or sub store-bought such as Lightlife)
- 2 slices sandwich bread of choice (find our gluten-free bread recipe here)
- 6 slices fresh cucumber
- 1-2 slices fresh tomato
- 3 slices ripe avocado
- 1/4 cup alfalfa sprouts (or sub greens of choice)
- If using homemade chipotle hummus and tempeh bacon, prepare them first. They can be made up to 3-4 days in advance. Otherwise, use store-bought tempeh bacon and cook according to package instructions.
- Toast bread (if desired) and slice the sandwich toppings (cucumber, tomato, avocado).
- Assemble sandwich by spreading chipotle hummus on one slice of bread, then layer (in this order) cucumber, tempeh bacon, sprouts, tomato, avocado, and remaining slice of bread. Enjoy!
- Best when fresh, but the hummus and tempeh bacon will keep stored separately for 3-4 days if you want to prep them ahead and assemble sandwiches when ready for quick weekday lunches!
*Nutrition information is a rough estimate calculated with Dave’s Killer Bread 21 Whole Grain Bread and with homemade hummus and tempeh bacon.
Leave a Comment & Rating!