Yes, it is only the fourth week in October and I’m already slightly tiring of pumpkin. What am I going to do come Thanksgiving when my aunt makes me an entire pumpkin cream pie? I better start pacing myself.
In reality I love pumpkin, just not always in traditional settings like muffins, lattes and pies. I like to venture out and enjoy it instead in its most pure forms, like stirred into an old fashioned oats with just a touch of brown sugar and cinnamon. The flavor speaks subtly of fall, just the way I prefer it.
Recently I’ve been making creamy pumpkin oats with almond milk (a tip I was reminded of by Aubrey) and nestling them over a layer of blueberries. On top, I simply can’t get enough of crushed, toasted almonds. The creamy-crunchy contrast in texture it provides is nothing short of soul warming.
I’ve made this dish about a half-dozen times now and I think it gets better with each attempt. Try this for breakfast, won’t you? It’s a vegan-friendly breakfast packed with vitamins and nutrients and plenty of fall flavor. Is there really a better way to get your day started off right than that? I strongly doubt it.
Creamy Pumpkin Oats with Blueberries and Toasted Almonds
- 1/2 cup unsweetened vanilla almond milk
- 1/2 scant cup water
- 1/2 cup rolled oats (gluten-free for GF eaters)
- 1 pinch salt
- 2 Tbsp pumpkin purée (homemade or store-bought)
- 1/4 cup almonds (chopped)
- 1/8 tsp flaxseed meal
- 1/8 tsp cinnamon
- 1 Tbsp brown sugar
- 1/3 cup blueberries (fresh or frozen)
- Bring the almond milk and water to a boil in a small saucepan. Add oats and salt and reduce heat to medium.
- Stirring occasionally, cook for 2 minutes and then add pumpkin. Cook for 3-4 minutes more or until creamy, being careful to stir often.
- In the meantime, toast almonds (or another nut) in a skillet over medium-high heat until lightly brown on all sides.
- When ready, remove oats from heat and add flaxseed, cinnamon, brown sugar and stir.
- Microwave blueberries in your serving dish until thawed (if frozen) and warm. Top with oats and almonds and enjoy.
Leave a Comment & Rating!