We love oatmeal, but creamy millet porridge? Oh yeah, we’re doing it. This creamy and comforting porridge is like oatmeal’s different-but-cool sibling — it’s a familiar but new and delicious way to enjoy whole grains at breakfast (or anytime)!
This porridge is vegan and gluten-free, and keeps well, making it perfect for meal prep! And, it requires just 5 ingredients, 1 pot, and 30 minutes, friends. Let us show you how it’s done!
What’s so Great About Millet?
Millet is a nutritional powerhouse! Compared to most other grains, millet has more calcium and protein, and it also contains B vitamins, fiber, phosphorous, magnesium, and iron. Go millet!
How to Make Millet Porridge
We start this millet breakfast bash off by simmering the millet in a generous amount of liquid (water and dairy-free milk) to ensure it gets super tender. Once the millet is tender and done cooking, there will be extra liquid that hasn’t been absorbed — exactly what you want when making porridge!
You can enjoy it this way or turn it into a super creamy porridge (our preferred method) by blending with an immersion blender. All that’s left is to add maple syrup for sweetness, vanilla for flavor, and cinnamon for warmth.
We hope you LOVE this millet porridge. It’s:
Warm + comforting
Perfect for meal prep
& SO nourishing!
We love topping it with Cinnamon-Spiced Pears and Chai-Spiced Granola for a cozy breakfast in fall and winter. It’s also delicious with stewed apples, fresh banana or berries, and/or chopped nuts and seeds.
More Comforting Breakfast Recipes
- Easy Vegan French Toast (10 Minutes!)
- Creamy Pumpkin Oats with Blueberries and Toasted Almonds
- Whole Wheat Griddle Cakes with Blueberry Orange Compote
- Gluten-Free Butternut Squash Banana Bread
If you try this recipe, let us know! Leave a comment, rate it, and don’t forget to tag a photo @minimalistbaker on Instagram. Cheers, friends!
Creamy Vanilla Millet Porridge
- 1 cup uncooked millet
- 2 cups water
- 2 cups dairy-free milk (plain, unsweetened // we like boxed coconut or almond milk, or half the amount of canned light coconut milk plus more water)
- 1-2 Tbsp maple syrup (or other sweetener of choice // plus more to taste)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon (or other spices to taste)
FOR TOPPING optional
- Cinnamon-Spiced Pears (or berries, banana, stewed apples)
- Chai-Spiced Granola (or other granola, chopped nuts, seeds)
- OPTIONAL (for improved nutrient absorption and to reduce bitterness*): Soak millet overnight (or at least 6-8 hours) covered by 1-2 inches of cool water with a little apple cider vinegar. Drain and rinse.
- Add millet to a large saucepan or pot with water and dairy-free milk. Stir. Bring to a low boil over medium heat, then reduce to a simmer and cover. Cook for ~20 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the millet is tender. There should still be enough liquid that it’s soupy in texture — if not, add more dairy-free milk or water as needed.
- Use an immersion blender (optional to make it smooth / porridgy) to blend until smooth. Add desired flavorings: We like maple syrup, vanilla, and cinnamon.
- Serve warm with desired toppings (we love cinnamon-spiced pears and chai-spiced granola). Other delicious options include berries, banana, stewed apples, or chopped nuts and seeds.
- Store leftovers covered in the refrigerator for up to 3-4 days or in the freezer for up to 1 month. It will firm up / harden in the refrigerator/freezer, so add more dairy-free milk or water when reheating (on the stovetop or in the microwave). To defrost from frozen, let thaw overnight in the refrigerator before reheating.
*Prep time does not include optional soaking.
*INSTANT POT: To prepare in the Instant Pot, add all ingredients to the Instant Pot and stir to combine. Pressure cook on high for 10 minutes, then allow the pressure to release naturally. Once the valve drops, carefully remove the lid and proceed with step 3.
*Nutrition information is a rough estimate calculated without optional ingredients.
*Inspired by a breakfast at Yandara Yoga Retreat Center.
Leave a Comment & Rating!