Quick show of hands: Who likes pizza? (Cue us excitedly waving our arms in the air while grinning.) We like to have pizza at least once a week, and since we have the crust and toppings thoroughly sorted, we figured it was due time to share our go-to homemade pizza sauce.
The best news? It’s so easy to make (1 pan, 20 minutes!) and packed with rich, herby tomato flavor. Oh, and it’s infused with garlic and red pepper flakes for a little kick (bland pizza sauce, begone). It’s absolutely perfect for pizza night and stores well in the freezer so you can always have some on hand, ready to use! Let us show you how it’s done!
How to Make Pizza Sauce
This quick and easy homemade pizza sauce recipe requires just 8 pantry staples: olive oil, garlic, red pepper flakes, crushed tomatoes, dried oregano and basil, salt, and maple syrup.
We like relying on pantry staples for pizza sauce because you just never know when the pizza craving is going to strike. And unanswered pizza cravings = sadness.
So when you need flavorful pizza sauce and you need it fast, we’re here for you!
All you need to do is sauté minced garlic and red pepper flakes in olive oil to infuse the oil with savory notes and a little heat. Then add your favorite canned crushed tomatoes along with dried oregano and basil for classic pizza flavor, sea salt for depth, and a little maple syrup for gentle sweetness and balance.
After a quick simmer, the sauce will reduce slightly and be beaming with flavor.
We hope you LOVE this homemade pizza sauce! It’s:
& SO delicious!
It’s perfect for all your pizza needs! Use it right away on our Favorite Vegan Pizza or Vegan Gluten-Free Sausage Pizza, or make a big batch to freeze for your next pizza night!
More Recipes for Pizza Night!
- Chickpea Caesar Salad
- Cashew Ricotta Cheese
- Easy Vegan Gluten-Free Pizza Crust
- How to Make Vegan Parmesan Cheese
If you try this recipe, let us know! Leave a comment, rate it, and don’t forget to tag a photo #minimalistbaker on Instagram. Cheers, friends!
Easy Homemade Pizza Sauce
- 1 Tbsp olive oil (if oil-free, sub water)
- 3 cloves garlic, minced or pressed
- 1/2 tsp red pepper flakes (omit for less heat)
- 1 (28-ounce) can crushed tomatoes (San Marzano for best flavor)
- 1 tsp dried oregano (or double the amount of fresh oregano, minced)
- 1 tsp dried basil (or double the amount of fresh basil, minced)
- 3/4 tsp sea salt
- 1 tsp maple syrup (or other sweetener of choice // adds balance)
FOR SERVING optional
- Heat a medium saucepan over low-medium heat. Once hot, add olive oil and garlic and sauté until fragrant — about 1 minute. Add red pepper flakes and stir to infuse flavor. Turn down heat if cooking too quickly.
- Add remaining ingredients (crushed tomatoes, oregano, basil, salt, and maple syrup) and bring to a simmer over medium heat.
- Once simmering, allow to cook for 10-15 minutes or until slightly reduced. If splattering, reduce heat and cover. When done cooking, the flavors should be deep and well integrated. Taste and adjust as needed, adding more maple syrup for sweetness, salt for overall flavor, red pepper flakes for heat, or oregano or basil for more herby flavor.
- Serve on your favorite pizza (such as our Favorite Vegan Pizza or Gluten-Free Vegan Sausage Pizza). Store leftovers in a sealed container in the refrigerator for up to 4-5 days or in the freezer for up to 1 month.
Leave a Comment & Rating!