Ready for something sweet (but secretly healthy)? I have just the thing.
No-bake vegan donut holes! Yes, it’s a thing. Let’s do this!
This 30-minute, 10-ingredient recipe starts with dates and nuts (walnuts or cashews or both), which creates a sweet, slightly nutty base.
Next come coconut and almond flour for a fluffy, cake-like feel. This is what makes them more the texture of cake or donuts than an energy bite.
The flavor comes from lemon juice and lemon zest, and the crunch comes from the addition of poppy seeds or chia seeds. Then just roll them into balls, freeze, and prepare your glaze.
For the glaze, I played around with a coconut butter option, but when you add liquids to coconut butter (e.g. lemon juice and maple syrup), it tends to seize up. So I went for a coconut oil-maple syrup glaze instead. However, I do include an oil-free glaze option in the notes!
We hope you LOVE these no-bake “donut holes.” They’re:
& So delicious
These donut holes would make the perfect healthier snack or dessert. The lemon juice and zest punch through with a tart kick, which perfectly balances the sweetness of the dates. Plus, that glaze? Total swoon.
If you’re into naturally sweet treats, check out our No-Bake Vanilla Cake Bites, 5-Ingredient Vegan Caramel Sauce, Vegan Chocolate Mousse, 3-Ingredient No-Bake Peanut Butter Cookies, and Coconut Carob Bars.
If you try this recipe, let us now! Leave a comment, rate it, and don’t forget to tag a photo #minimalistbaker on Instagram. Cheers, friends!
No-Bake Vegan Lemon Poppy Seed Donut Holes
- 1 cup packed pitted medjool dates (measured after pits removed)
- 1 cup raw walnuts or cashews (we mixed both)
- 3/4 cup almond flour (or sub almond meal, but the donut flavor is more pronounced with flour)
- 1/3 cup coconut flour (or sub more almond flour)
- 1 Tbsp lemon zest
- 4 Tbsp lemon juice
- 2 1/2 Tbsp poppy seeds or chia seeds
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 4 Tbsp coconut oil, melted (see notes for oil-free version)
- 1 Tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp lemon zest
- 1 Tbsp maple syrup (or other sweetener of choice)
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside. To a food processor, add pitted dates and blend until small bits remain or a ball forms. Scoop out and set aside.
- To the food processor, add your raw nuts, almond flour, and coconut flour. Blend until a fine meal is achieved – about 20-30 seconds.
- Add the dates back in along with the lemon zest, lemon juice, poppy or chia seeds, and vanilla extract. Blend until a tacky dough forms. If it’s too dry, add a little more lemon juice. If it gets too wet or sticky, add more coconut flour as needed.
- Scoop out 1 1/2 Tbsp amounts of dough (I like this scoop) and roll into balls. Repeat until all of your mixture is used up. Arrange on your parchment-lined baking sheet. Transfer to the freezer and freeze for 10 minutes.
- In the meantime, prepare glaze by adding all ingredients to a mixing bowl and whisking thoroughly to combine (a little separation is natural – just stir again before glazing).
- Remove donut holes from the freezer, and one at a time, dip donut holes into the glaze. Lift up with a fork or slotted spoon and tap off any excess glaze. Place back on the parchment paper to harden. Repeat until all donut holes are glazed. Then carefully transfer back to the freezer to set.
- Freeze for 10 minutes. Then remove from freezer and dip again. You can repeat this process as many times as you can before the glaze runs out (I was able to dip all of my donut holes twice and rolled a few of them in a third time – though I found two times to be sufficient).
- Pop back in the freezer to chill again until set – about 10 minutes. Enjoy! Store leftovers covered in the refrigerator (up to 1 week) or the freezer (up to 1 month). They can be stored at room temperature, but if too warm, the glaze can melt.
*Nutrition information is a rough estimate calculated with half cashews and half walnuts, with chia seeds, and with all of the glaze.
*Recipe concept inspired by This Rawsome Vegan Life, which was originally adapted from Lee from America.
Leave a Comment & Rating!