Nothing tastes like summer or a day at the beach like a piña colada. Our simple version requires just 2 ingredients: frozen ripe pineapple and coconut milk.
Let us show you how it’s done, plus easy ways to add protein if enjoying as a smoothie, or booze if enjoying as a cocktail.
What Is a Piña Colada?
The piña colada is a frozen blended drink that originated in Puerto Rico. It’s typically made from coconut, rum, pineapple juice, and ice.
Our inspired version uses whole pineapple instead of juice, and we freeze it so there’s no need to add ice! The result is more fiber and nutrients, plus a smooth and creamy texture.
The frozen pineapple and coconut milk are blended up. Then, depending on the sweetness of your pineapple, you may choose to add a little honey or maple syrup.
For added protein, you can optionally add plain or vanilla protein powder. Or, for a whole food protein source, try a tablespoon or so of hemp seeds!
To make it boozy, add 1-2 ounces of white rum. You’ll be feeling like you’re on the beach in no time!
We hope you LOVE this piña colada smoothie! It’s:
It’s the perfect summer drink or great for any time you want to be immediately transported into vacation mode! For an extra special twist, top with coconut whipped cream, fresh mint, and cherries.
If you want to nerd out on piña coladas, check out this authentic recipe that provides some piña colada history, or this article for three inspired, craft versions of this popular cocktail.
More Smoothie Recipes
If you try this recipe, let us know! Leave a comment, rate it, and don’t forget to tag a photo #minimalistbaker on Instagram. Cheers, friends!
2-Ingredient Piña Colada Smoothie
- 3 cups chopped frozen pineapple (ripe for best flavor)
- 3/4 cup light coconut milk (or canned or boxed)
- 1-2 tsp honey or maple syrup (optional // only if pineapple isn’t sweet enough)
- 1 scoop plain or vanilla protein powder (or add whole food source such as hemp seeds // optional)
- 1-2 oz white rum to make it boozy (optional)
FOR SERVING optional
- Coconut whipped cream
- Fresh pineapple
- Fresh mint
- To a high-speed blender add frozen pineapple and coconut milk (we prefer light canned). Then blend on high until creamy and smooth, using the tamper (if available) to push down and blend more easily. Add more coconut milk as needed to facilitate blending and ensure creaminess.
- Taste and adjust flavors as needed, adding more coconut milk for creaminess, pineapple to thicken // add sweet-tart flavor, or a bit of honey or maple syrup (optional) for additional sweetness.
- If enjoying as a smoothie, you have the option of adding a bit of protein powder of choice, such as plain or vanilla. If enjoying as a cocktail, add 1-2 oz of your favorite rum (white is preferred) and blend again to combine.
- Enjoy fresh as is, or top with coconut whipped cream, a cherry, a slice of pineapple, and mint (all optional).
- If you have leftovers, freeze into popsicles or ice cube molds (if you’ve already added booze, they likely won’t firm up all the way). When ready to use, simply blend the piña colada ice cubes in your blender with rum or additional coconut milk.
Leave a Comment & Rating!