During a recent trip to wine country, we stayed at one of our favorite hotels and I was so delighted to see a “breakfast salad” option on their morning menu. Salad > donuts almost any day (unless it’s Sunday).
You better believe I ordered it all three days (with my own modifications) and loved every bite. The minute we got home and picked up our first CSA of the year (!!), I got to work recreating my own version of the salad with beautiful greens and organic produce. I can’t wait to share this gorgeous salad with you. Shall we?
The base of this 20-minute, 9-ingredient salad is a bed of greens. I went with organic mustard greens (!) and endive. However, you can really use whatever you have on hand.
Next is sweet (or baby red) potatoes cooked to perfection on the stovetop, as well as blueberries and avocado for plenty of antioxidants, healthy fats, and plant-based fiber.
For a bit of protein, I went with hummus and hemp seeds – a lovely combination that pairs well with just about any salad.
For dressing, I kept things simple with a basic lemon vinaigrette. But you could easily sub in balsamic vinegar if that’s more your style or even just a drizzle of maple syrup, lemon, and tahini (like in my Detox Salad!).
I hope you all LOVE this summer-friendly salad! It’s:
& So easy to make
This would make the perfect weekday or weekend breakfast when you have a bit of time to spare but don’t want to turn the oven on – which makes it summer (and warm-weather) friendly and perfect for using up seasonal produce from farmers markets and CSAs! Pair it with some Vegan Golden Milk for even more antioxidants and good vibes!
For more salads, check out our Curry-Roasted Vegetable and Lentil Kale Salad, Garlicky Kale Salad with Crispy Chickpeas, White Bean Kale Salad with Tahini Dressing, Apple Pecan Arugula Salad, 30-Minute Asian Quinoa Salad, Vegan Nicoise Salad, 20-Minute Asian Kale Salad, and Blissed-Out Thai Salad with Peanut Tempeh.
Also, Happy Father’s Day to all the fathers out there (ours included)! Be sure to check out our 12 Vegan Father’s Day Brunch Ideas for even more delicious breakfast ideas to celebrate dad.
Lastly, if you try this recipe, let us know! Leave a comment, rate it, and don’t forget to tag a photo #minimalistbaker on Instagram. Cheers, friends!
Savory Breakfast Salad (20 minutes!)
- 2 small sweet potato (can sub 1 large for 1 small // cut into 1/4-inch discs then halved // organic when possible)
- 1 Tbsp avocado or coconut oil (or sub water if avoiding oil)
- 1 pinch each salt and pepper
- 4 cups mixed greens and/or endive
- 3 Tbsp lemon juice
- 1 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil (or sub water if avoiding oil)
- 1 pinch each salt and pepper
- 1 cup blueberries (or other seasonal fruit // organic when possible)
- 1 medium ripe avocado (chopped)
- 4 Tbsp (60 g) hummus, divided
- 2 Tbsp hemp seeds (optional)
- Fresh chopped parsley (optional)
- Heat a larger skillet over medium heat. Once hot, add oil (or water), sweet potatoes, salt, and pepper and stir to coat. Arrange in a single layer to ensure even cooking and place a lid on top to steam.
- Cook for 3-4 minutes. Then uncover and flip the potatoes to ensure even cooking. If browning too quickly, turn heat down to medium-low. Continue cooking until golden brown on both sides and tender – about 10-15 minutes total.
- In the meantime, prepare dressing by adding lemon juice, olive oil, salt, and pepper to a small jar or mixing bowl and shaking or whisking to combine. Taste and adjust flavor as needed, adding more lemon for acidity, oil for creamy texture, or salt and pepper for overall flavor. Set aside.
- To serve, divide greens between serving plates and top with roasted sweet potatoes, blueberries, avocado, hummus, hemp seeds (optional), and parsley (optional). Serve with dressing on the side.
- Enjoy immediately. Leftovers will keep (stored separate from dressing) for 2-3 days, though best when fresh. I like storing my salad dressing at room temperature (up to 2 days).
*Nutrition information is a rough estimate calculated without hemp seeds or parsley.
Leave a Comment & Rating!