Summer is creepin’ on and I’m craving fresh, green things, like this green spirulina smoothie.
What makes it super green? We’re about to find out. Shall we?
This smoothie is about as easy as it gets: 5 ingredients, 5 minutes, 1 blender.
The base is frozen banana, cucumber (we learned about cucumber’s health benefits in my Cucumber Smoothie), and coconut milk. I include hemp seed as an optional addition for healthy fats and protein. And last but not least, spirulina!
I asked you guys on Twitter if you’d be interested in seeing any recipes with spirulina, and you said yes! I’ve included tips on where to buy and how to use it in the notes.
Spirulina is an extremely nutritious blue-green algae that’s high in B vitamins and minerals like iodine, beta-carotene, antioxidants, iron, and manganese. It’s also 60% protein and a complete protein, containing all essential amino acids – 1 Tablespoon boasts 4 g protein.
So what’s the big deal? Spirulina is a very concentrated source of vitamins and minerals and also very detoxifying and alkalizing to the body, which is why it’s considered a “super food” in many circles. I’ve been incorporating it mainly into my smoothies and love its intense color, neutral flavor, and health benefits. It’s a great way to get a green smoothie without adding handfuls of kale.
What does it taste like? Eaten directly, it has a somewhat unpleasant taste – kind of like seaweed. But, when thrown into smoothies or desserts, it’s undetectable. Huzzah!
I hope you all LOVE this gorgeous smoothie! It’s:
Quick + Easy
This smoothie makes the perfect plant-based breakfast or snack. For even more protein, add more hemp seeds, chia seeds, or your favorite vegan protein powder. And don’t forget your toppings! I went for blueberries, hemp seeds, and granola (which was inspired by my girl @shutthekaleup!).
For more smoothies spirulina would pair well with, check out our Hide Your Kale Smoothie, 5-Ingredient Detox Smoothie, Ginger Colada Green Smoothie, and Creamy Cucumber Pineapple Smoothie!
If you try this recipe, let us know! Leave a comment, rate it, and don’t forget to tag a photo #minimalistbaker on Instagram so we can see. Cheers, friends!
Super Green Spirulina Smoothie (5 Ingredients!)
- 1 medium ripe banana (previously peeled and frozen // ~1 cup as original recipe is written)
- 1/2 cup sliced cucumber (organic when possible // skin on)
- 3/4 – 1 cup light coconut milk (or other non-dairy milk // less for thicker smoothie, more for thinner smoothie)
- 1 cup spinach or chopped kale (organic when possible // I like to freeze mine)
- 1 tsp spirulina powder*
- 1 Tbsp hemp seed (optional // or sub chia seeds or vegan protein powder)
FOR SERVING optional
- 1/4 cup frozen or fresh blueberries (organic when possible)
- 1/4 cup granola (store-bought or homemade*)
- To a blender*, add frozen banana, cucumber, coconut milk, spinach, spirulina, and hemp seed (optional). Blend until creamy and smooth, scraping down sides (or using smoothie wand) as needed.
- If too thick, thin with water or more coconut milk. If too thin, thicken with ice or more frozen banana. Taste and adjust flavor as needed, adding more banana for sweetness, cucumber for freshness, or greens or spirulina for green color. See note about spirulina (brands + how much to add).
- Serve immediately as is or in my preferred: top with blueberries, granola, and more hemp seeds. Best when fresh, though leftovers will keep covered in the refrigerator up to 2 days or the freezer for 1 week. Thaw to enjoy from freezer.
*When adding spirulina to smoothies, start with 1 tsp and add more as desired, but this is the max for me without tasting it. Otherwise, it can start tasting a little seaweedy.
*Granola recipes: Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Granola, Banana Bread Granola, Simple Quinoa Granola, or Nut ‘n’ Honey Granola (the one I used in photos).
*Find my blender review here.
*Spirulina also works extremely well when added in the same quantity to my Ginger Colada Green Smoothie!
*Nutrition information is a rough estimate calculated without toppings or hemp seeds.
Leave a Comment & Rating!