It seems ludicrous to make your favorite recipes just once, but when you’re a food blogger sometimes you don’t have time for repeats!
But, after making a similar version of these black bean brownies a couple years ago I couldn’t help but try them again.
They’re fudgy, sweet, and still one of the best brownies I’ve had to date. Never mind they’re loaded with fiber, omega-3s and tons of other good-for-you ingredients.
Just last week I attempted a vegan gluten free brownie recipe that was a total flop. They didn’t set at all and sort of remained “soup” in the pan. So disappointing. The worst part? I’d wasted an entire bar and a half of my favorite dark chocolate and a decent amount of Earth Balance in the process. Not cheap, not cheap, not cool.
Then I thought, “Why would I make unhealthy brownies if I could make healthy ones that I know I love?” See, I do reason sometimes, especially when it comes to dessert.
These brownies are ridiculously simple to make.
They require a handful of ingredients you likely have on hand, and all you need is a food processor (or a blender) and a muffin tin.
Does clean up get much easier than that? Let me answer that, NO.
Besides being simple they’re insanely delicious. The edges have a slight crispness and the inside is all fudgy, chocolaty goodness.
Plus, you don’t have to dirty a knife cutting into them – they’re already baked into bite-size deliciousness. How convenient!
Enjoy these plain, with some vegan ice cream (coffee, chocolate, or vanilla), dunked in almond milk, slathered with peanut butter or topped with fresh berries (credit to my smart friend Arleigh for the berry idea).
Better yet, I have another idea for these beauties coming up next week. Wish me luck! In the meantime, bake these brownies and tell no one what’s inside…until they’re three bites in and begging for the recipe. Hooray for healthy deception!
More Black Bean Brownie Recipes
- Vegan Peppermint Black Bean Brownies
- Vegan Gluten-Free Peanut Butter Swirl Brownies
- Refined-Sugar-Free Turtle Brownies (GF)
If you try this recipe, let us know! Leave a comment, rate it, and don’t forget to tag a photo #minimalistbaker on Instagram. Cheers, friends!
Vegan Gluten-Free Black Bean Brownies
- 2 heaping Tbsp flaxseed meal
- 6 Tbsp water
- 1 15-oz. can black beans (well rinsed and drained // 1 can yields ~ 1 3/4 cups)
- 3 Tbsp coconut oil (melted // or sub other oil of choice)
- 3/4 cup cocoa powder (the higher quality the better // such as this one)
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 heaping cup organic cane sugar (slightly ground or pulsed in a food processor or coffee grinder for refined texture)
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- Crushed walnuts
- Dairy-free semisweet chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (176 C).
- Lightly grease a 12-slot standard size muffin pan (not mini // adjust pan size if altering batch size). Make sure you’ve rinsed and thoroughly drained your black beans at this point.
- Prepare flax egg by combining flax and water in the bowl of the food processor. Pulse a couple times and then let rest for a few minutes.
- Add remaining ingredients (besides walnuts or other toppings) and puree – about 3 minutes – scraping down sides as needed. You want it pretty smooth.
- If the batter appears too thick, add a Tbsp or two of water and pulse again. It should be slightly less thick than chocolate frosting but nowhere close to runny.
- Evenly distribute the batter into the muffin tin and smooth the tops with a spoon or your finger.
- Optional: Sprinkle with crushed walnuts, pecans or chocolate chips.
- Bake for 20-26 minutes or until the tops are dry and the edges start to pull away from the sides. I found mine took about 25.
- Remove from oven and let cool for 30 minutes before removing from pan. They will be tender, so remove gently with a fork. The insides are meant to be very fudgy, so don’t be concerned if they seem too moist – that’s the point. Plus, they’re vegan so it doesn’t really matter.
- Store in an airtight container for up to a few days. Refrigerate to keep longer.
Leave a Comment & Rating!